Skip to main content

"Rain" (1932) - 80~90 years too soon

What happens when you take a top glamor star of depression era cinema, and put her in an unglamorous role with deep moral themes about religious hypocrisy? You get a critical & financial bomb at the box office.  If your audience came in hoping to escape from their dire circumstances - and you give them a slow burning conflict of mores on opposite sides of the spectrum, they are not going to dig it. The critics will say the characters are ‘satisfactory’ or that the star is out of her depth. 

I say - Bpppffftt! If you took that movie and redid it shot for shot today - it would sell. You probably could not fill theater seats with it. We don’t go to see these kinds of movies anymore; however, there are any number of streaming services that could / should reproduce it. It is public domain now, so that door is wide open.


The director did a great job (even if he is uncredited). The story was based on a play - and I would argue that you could almost stage it the same as he shot it.


Joan Crawford was good. The plot summary says she played a prostitute - I am not sure how we know that from the film. She seemed more like a woman who was not in the least bit prim, but I failed to see anything she did or said that implied she was trading herself for money. The so-called supporting cast were good, but the one other actor who made the bill, Walter Huston was a little too much of a stereotype. I think his wife should have been and was, but I thought his portrayal was a bit flat for what that part needed. For example, I sort of guessed how the climax would happen about 5 minutes before we got there, but I don’t think he sold the buildup very well. I was a little confused about what happened until the 3 minutes of wrap-up before the end credits. I can place part of the blame on the sound guy and modern TV speakers. It probably would have been more obvious with a decent sound system. *


This is a pre-code movie, and so I was looking out for what would become code violations. In this case, the most obvious one was when one soldiers slapped Ms. Crawford on the bum as she danced. I happened once - you could not actually see it, but the foley artist earned their pay & Ms. Crawford certainly acted accordingly. I could hear Will Hays sigh and shake his head.


*I think if you can tell what is going on without sound, that is a pretty good director + actor combination. Joan Crawford passed that test with excellent marks. Walter Huston got a C-minus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Aniara (2018) - Space is full of our fears

"Aniara" (2018) is ostensibly a scifi film about a passenger ship en route to Mars that goes off course. Think "Avenue 5" (2020) but with less Hugh Laurie wit, Josh Gad mania and no comedic electricity from Jessica St Clair or Zach Woods. "Aniara" is based on an epic poem - and it explores how humanity, set adrift in the cosmos, struggles to find a path to purpose.  The narrative is centered on a woman who operates an AI Virtual Reality machine which provides an immersion therapy for people who are trapped on the ship - it fills them with a sense of paradise that they ultimately have to be unplugged from to face the existential dread reality of the sarcophagus they are on. The woman, Mimarobe, is earnest trying to make the best of what she is given. She is flawed - she is treated unfairly - she finds love - she faces grievous loss. All the while, she perseveres. I see her as a Job like character. Not exactly: she never gets angry at God and she doesn't...

Con Air (1997) - another example of the Jacob's ladder effect

As we work our way through Merry Cage-mas, an argument could be made that "Con Air" is a fever dream Nick Cage's character has just before dying during that opening bar fight. 1) Monica Potter has abs of steel and is supposedly pregnant with their daughter. She is so not pregnant looking. So much so that, I do not know how they would have been far enough along to ultrasound the embryo. Additionally, he has just walked off a fishing boat into the bar she works at after getting home from deployment - when was the child conceived? 2) Nick Cage is immediately arrested and  sentenced to seven years in prison. During the film he writes & received fully formed letters from this child. In them, he talks about all the things they used to do with each other. When did these things happen?  3) Upon making his way into the titular 'Con Air' plane, Nick Cage has a shrink wrapped bunny rabbit doll he bought for this little girl as a present. Where did that come from? The pri...