Friday, March 17, 2023

Crimewave (1986) - For the Bruce Campbell / Sam Raimi completests

"Crimewave" is a zany comedy-¿horror? movie by Sam Raimi. It is told as a flashback from the a guy who you might think you recognize from that thing, but it turns out you have never watched anything he has been in. It is about a murder for hire scheme that he ends up being framed for. Bruce Campbell plays one of his best characters as The Heel ("You get the cab baby - I don't want to break a $100" or "I've never seen you here before. I like that in a woman."). Brion James and Paul Smith play the hit men. You will recognized Smith as Beast Rabban from "Dune" (1984). Those guys are gonzo. A young Frances McDormand is in it for a couple minutes. Sheree Wilson (from Walker Texas Ranger) plays the heroine.

It was written by the Raimi + Coen Bros (which explains why Frances is in it). It is like watching an 80 minute Three Stooges film. Lots of sound effects and a jazzy score. It is PG13, so I think the 'horror' aspects comes from the the violent premise, but it is really a lot of slapstick. A bunch of car chase sequences too.

 

It is well shot with very high production value. Cast / director / sets / stunts ... all really well done. As far as 'bad movies' go, this one's issue is a convoluted story telling - I think this is a byproduct of editing which is probably a by product of budget issues during production. It is always the editor 🙂

 

If you LOVE Raimi or LOVE Campbell - watch it.

If you really enjoy MADTV sketches - watch it (probably in 22 minute chunks until you have had your fill)

If you are a fan of the Three Stooges - watch "Soup to Nuts" ... it is a much better movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Man on Fire" (2004) - why do I like a roman à clef

I have watched “Man on Fire” (2004) many times. If it is on or I see it available, I will watch it. I think I got some free movies on Vudu o...