Skip to main content

A review of 90 minute knock off (90KO) movies

What if we remade JAWS, except on a mountain side with a bear? Then we get “Grizzly” (1976). This thing has a groovy orchestral score, a well-acted cast, and a live Grizzly. Christopher George (from Rat Patrol) plays the Brody, a guy I didn’t recognize plays Hooper, and Richard Jaeckel (who means The Dirty Dozen to me) is the Quint. Teddy is the bear playing Bruce the shark.

There is a Mrs Brody, but after playing a prominent role for Act 1 she just sort of evaporates somewhere in Act 2 - I have no idea where she went.

 

All in, this is a VERY true JAWS knock off - almost beat for beat. It was fun.

 

If you prefer knock offs that Die Hard, I suggest “Assault on Dome 4” (1996). This is Die Hard on Mars. Joe Culp (Robert’s son) plays McLean, a former soap opera star plays Ms Genero, and Bruce “the chin” Campbell plays Hans Gruber. James Lew plays the long haired vindictive guy. They make a mess of the Al character - but Ray Baker does what he can with that role. They manage to squeeze in Jack Nance as a Marvin from DH2 - seeing “Eraserhead” in a tie dye shirt, emoting the scenery off was a treat.

 

Ms Genero is way too much Guiding Light and not nearly enough Bonnie Bedelia - Joe Culp is practically cardboard. The most insanely unbelievable part is when he gets into a kung fu fight with James Lew and wins. James Lew is built like a brick outhouse - Culp looks like your uncle coming off a bad bout of the flu.

 

The saving grace of this movie is Bruce Campbell. He has all of his typical charm - and really makes the whole movie. Brion James is in it too, but he didn’t have enough to do.

 

Remember, I watch these so you don't have to … but let me know if you do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Sinners (2025) - who are your people?

A Southern Gothic tale - with all the symbolism you care to find from that genre. What does it mean to belong? How does a community treat its undesirables? What role does religion play in defining good and clean? What do you have to give up to be part of the clan? This movie probes some very deep stuff.  If you just want the top-level show without all the questions this flick evokes - you get gangsters, vampires, and blues music. It is all the magic I found in a Pizza Hut Supreme when I was a kid. Wonderfully grotesque metaphors. Moving scores. Impact through sound design, camera focus, tracking, color palette and lighting. This movie is brilliantly made.  I am trying to put my finger on a performance that is stand out, but I can't really. It is quite an ensemble. I think if there is one series I loved it is when Stack goes to get supplies for the party: that negotiation with the girl by the truck, the greeting at the 'black' grocery, the shooting, the '1-shot' wher...

Fences (2016)

Fences (2016) is nominally a story about being black in the United States of America in the 1950's. 'Troy' is a disaffected working man that never really had a chance. He is unable to make sense of an unfair world. Viola Davis doesn't get as much screen time (this is Denzel's movie), but when she is let on the scene, she destroys. 'Rose' is setting herself aside to make a life & family despite very little prospects for measurable happiness. Based on an August Wilson play - the magic of his writing is that at its root, this story is about people who set aside themselves for "existence". All people yearn for happiness on this world from their achievements (at least to achieve 'success' & 'happiness' relative to people around them). People want to proclaim they are in control of their situations. People want to be treated generously and with respect. People think that the world, society, economy, and people around them should a...