Tuesday, March 14, 2023

A review of 90 minute knock off (90KO) movies

What if we remade JAWS, except on a mountain side with a bear? Then we get “Grizzly” (1976). This thing has a groovy orchestral score, a well-acted cast, and a live Grizzly. Christopher George (from Rat Patrol) plays the Brody, a guy I didn’t recognize plays Hooper, and Richard Jaeckel (who means The Dirty Dozen to me) is the Quint. Teddy is the bear playing Bruce the shark.

There is a Mrs Brody, but after playing a prominent role for Act 1 she just sort of evaporates somewhere in Act 2 - I have no idea where she went.

 

All in, this is a VERY true JAWS knock off - almost beat for beat. It was fun.

 

If you prefer knock offs that Die Hard, I suggest “Assault on Dome 4” (1996). This is Die Hard on Mars. Joe Culp (Robert’s son) plays McLean, a former soap opera star plays Ms Genero, and Bruce “the chin” Campbell plays Hans Gruber. James Lew plays the long haired vindictive guy. They make a mess of the Al character - but Ray Baker does what he can with that role. They manage to squeeze in Jack Nance as a Marvin from DH2 - seeing “Eraserhead” in a tie dye shirt, emoting the scenery off was a treat.

 

Ms Genero is way too much Guiding Light and not nearly enough Bonnie Bedelia - Joe Culp is practically cardboard. The most insanely unbelievable part is when he gets into a kung fu fight with James Lew and wins. James Lew is built like a brick outhouse - Culp looks like your uncle coming off a bad bout of the flu.

 

The saving grace of this movie is Bruce Campbell. He has all of his typical charm - and really makes the whole movie. Brion James is in it too, but he didn’t have enough to do.

 

Remember, I watch these so you don't have to … but let me know if you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Man on Fire" (2004) - why do I like a roman à clef

I have watched “Man on Fire” (2004) many times. If it is on or I see it available, I will watch it. I think I got some free movies on Vudu o...