Skip to main content

John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023)

John Wick: Chapter 4 is a master class in pacing and storytelling - especially for a movie which I am sure is put together as “OK - so here is a list of action scenes we want to create, here is a list of stunts we want to do - lets wrap a plot around that”. It rides the action in waves and gives you just the right amount of time to unclinch yourself from the theater seat. Story wise, there was just one loose end - a setup I thought would pay off but ultimately doesn’t go anywhere. For that character, I hope they grow and can get on with their life.


As for the action & stunts themselves (which is why you go see a JW movie), they were really well done. The cinematography was fantastic. They were a nice blend of CGI and practical. The CGI was only obvious in a few places. In this movie world of absurdity, the CGI was appropriately absurd.


I didn’t look ahead of time to know any of the supporting cast, and so I called out “Oh cool - Clancy Brown!” when he showed up. He didn’t have enough to do, but what he got was cool. Bill SkarsgĂ„rd is the main bad guy, but the real star of the show in terms of antagonists is Scott Adkins. His makeup is such that I did not recognize him during the film - I kept thinking it was Max Greenfield from “New Girl”.  I would rewatch Scott’s scenes again - he was captivating.


I think John Wick is such a compelling series because of Keanu Reeves. He somehow manages to blend "Ted" Theodore Logan, Captain America, and a somewhat worn out middle aged man into a believable hero. Ian Shane and Donnie Yen were outstanding. If I could edit out 45 seconds, I would have chopped the scene where Larry Fishburne is explaining the merits of the Keanu’s pistol. If you aren’t going to bring back Peter Serafinowicz as “The Sommelier”, don’t bother. Made me wonder if some gun manufacturer paid for product placement.


In my ranking of the Wick-a-verse, I would say #4, #2, #1, and #3 is the order from best to worst.


Oh - and I forgot to mention - John Wick uses nunchucks without once hitting himself in the head or between the legs. I guess that is another reason I knew this was movie magic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Aniara (2018) - Space is full of our fears

"Aniara" (2018) is ostensibly a scifi film about a passenger ship en route to Mars that goes off course. Think "Avenue 5" (2020) but with less Hugh Laurie wit, Josh Gad mania and no comedic electricity from Jessica St Clair or Zach Woods. "Aniara" is based on an epic poem - and it explores how humanity, set adrift in the cosmos, struggles to find a path to purpose.  The narrative is centered on a woman who operates an AI Virtual Reality machine which provides an immersion therapy for people who are trapped on the ship - it fills them with a sense of paradise that they ultimately have to be unplugged from to face the existential dread reality of the sarcophagus they are on. The woman, Mimarobe, is earnest trying to make the best of what she is given. She is flawed - she is treated unfairly - she finds love - she faces grievous loss. All the while, she perseveres. I see her as a Job like character. Not exactly: she never gets angry at God and she doesn't...

Con Air (1997) - another example of the Jacob's ladder effect

As we work our way through Merry Cage-mas, an argument could be made that "Con Air" is a fever dream Nick Cage's character has just before dying during that opening bar fight. 1) Monica Potter has abs of steel and is supposedly pregnant with their daughter. She is so not pregnant looking. So much so that, I do not know how they would have been far enough along to ultrasound the embryo. Additionally, he has just walked off a fishing boat into the bar she works at after getting home from deployment - when was the child conceived? 2) Nick Cage is immediately arrested and  sentenced to seven years in prison. During the film he writes & received fully formed letters from this child. In them, he talks about all the things they used to do with each other. When did these things happen?  3) Upon making his way into the titular 'Con Air' plane, Nick Cage has a shrink wrapped bunny rabbit doll he bought for this little girl as a present. Where did that come from? The pri...