Skip to main content

Quick Change (1990) and Welcome to Collinwood (2002) - Comparing Cinematic Comedy Capers


I wish we pronounced cinema with a hard ‘c’, so I could have won the [Pick 4] alliteration lottery.

“Quick Change” (1990) and “Welcome to Collinwood” (2002) - two examples of the same genre. Each less than 90 minutes. Both filled with brilliant cast. “Quick Change” is a four person show, while “Welcome to Collinwood” is what I would call an ensemble. Similar budgets. Director / Cinematography / Editing / Music are all good in both. For what they are - efficient & effective use of their budgets.


So - what sets them apart? 


“QC” has a story that is efficiently entertaining > “QC” is brisk - the main and supporting characters have enough room to shine. It is based on a book, and the screenwriter knew what to do with the source material. I would not call it brilliant or inspired, but it is fun from top to bottom.


“WtC” falls well short of that > How can you take W.H.Macy, Isaiah Washington, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter (in his final role), Luis Guzman, Patricia Clarkson, Jennifer Esposito, and a small part by George Clooney - put them on sets directed by the Russo Brothers - and still make me check my watch 6 times in eighty+ minutes? You give them a terrible script.


“WtC” is leaden - it is a remake of a very popular/successful Italian comedy (that I have not seen yet) - and the screenwriters (Tony + Joe Russo again) made it into a slog. They are not the only ones - another movie dud was made from this original. Alternatively, Bob Fosse produced a stage musical version that received multiple Tony nominations - I wish I could watch that to compare.


If you are looking for a fun heist film - with one more chance to watch Tony Shalhoub, THE Tucci, Phil Hartman, and a really great performance by Philip Bosco - you can find “Quick Change” on TUBI. I forgot about Kurtwood Smith's character - he is his guy from "Dead Poets Society" as a mafioso buffoon.


If you want to see everything the Russo Brothers made (and Steve Soderbergh produced) - watch the trailer for “Welcome to Collinwood”. If you are from Cleveland, you might watch the whole thing - but I doubt the tourism board recommends it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Sinners (2025) - who are your people?

A Southern Gothic tale - with all the symbolism you care to find from that genre. What does it mean to belong? How does a community treat its undesirables? What role does religion play in defining good and clean? What do you have to give up to be part of the clan? This movie probes some very deep stuff.  If you just want the top-level show without all the questions this flick evokes - you get gangsters, vampires, and blues music. It is all the magic I found in a Pizza Hut Supreme when I was a kid. Wonderfully grotesque metaphors. Moving scores. Impact through sound design, camera focus, tracking, color palette and lighting. This movie is brilliantly made.  I am trying to put my finger on a performance that is stand out, but I can't really. It is quite an ensemble. I think if there is one series I loved it is when Stack goes to get supplies for the party: that negotiation with the girl by the truck, the greeting at the 'black' grocery, the shooting, the '1-shot' wher...

Roman Holiday - a perfect closing scene

Roman Holiday: Never have the stakes been so low. And seldom has the romp been so much fun. This movie is effervescent. The sensibility of it fantastic. There is even a character arc for all the mains if that is what you want - Peck falls in love. Hepburn grows up and realizes she is a woman on a mission in control of her agenda. Albert even has his heart show up at the end - really all of them go through something in a very naturalistic way that I feel is unusual for film (certainly for 1950's US films). I do think that Eddie Albert deserves special mention - he is severely handsome and hilarious.  It may be mostly the beard, but he reminded me of Rob Cook. His character keeps getting dumped on his backside and getting his pants wet. He tries to 'help' and ends up in some slapstick shenanigans more than not. I don't know about the time around the release, but his performance is undermentioned in comparison to the other two these days. The closing scene where she knows ...