Friday, March 31, 2023

Quick Change (1990) and Welcome to Collinwood (2002) - Comparing Cinematic Comedy Capers


I wish we pronounced cinema with a hard ‘c’, so I could have won the [Pick 4] alliteration lottery.

“Quick Change” (1990) and “Welcome to Collinwood” (2002) - two examples of the same genre. Each less than 90 minutes. Both filled with brilliant cast. “Quick Change” is a four person show, while “Welcome to Collinwood” is what I would call an ensemble. Similar budgets. Director / Cinematography / Editing / Music are all good in both. For what they are - efficient & effective use of their budgets.


So - what sets them apart? 


“QC” has a story that is efficiently entertaining > “QC” is brisk - the main and supporting characters have enough room to shine. It is based on a book, and the screenwriter knew what to do with the source material. I would not call it brilliant or inspired, but it is fun from top to bottom.


“WtC” falls well short of that > How can you take W.H.Macy, Isaiah Washington, Sam Rockwell, Michael Jeter (in his final role), Luis Guzman, Patricia Clarkson, Jennifer Esposito, and a small part by George Clooney - put them on sets directed by the Russo Brothers - and still make me check my watch 6 times in eighty+ minutes? You give them a terrible script.


“WtC” is leaden - it is a remake of a very popular/successful Italian comedy (that I have not seen yet) - and the screenwriters (Tony + Joe Russo again) made it into a slog. They are not the only ones - another movie dud was made from this original. Alternatively, Bob Fosse produced a stage musical version that received multiple Tony nominations - I wish I could watch that to compare.


If you are looking for a fun heist film - with one more chance to watch Tony Shalhoub, THE Tucci, Phil Hartman, and a really great performance by Philip Bosco - you can find “Quick Change” on TUBI. I forgot about Kurtwood Smith's character - he is his guy from "Dead Poets Society" as a mafioso buffoon.


If you want to see everything the Russo Brothers made (and Steve Soderbergh produced) - watch the trailer for “Welcome to Collinwood”. If you are from Cleveland, you might watch the whole thing - but I doubt the tourism board recommends it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Man on Fire" (2004) - why do I like a roman à clef

I have watched “Man on Fire” (2004) many times. If it is on or I see it available, I will watch it. I think I got some free movies on Vudu o...