Sunday, April 2, 2023

The Big Sleep (1946) and (1978) - the medium snooze


I tried to watch both versions of “The Big Sleep” in close proximity to each other. I am very glad I went with 1946 first. I suspect the 1978 version more closely mimics the more lurid details of the Raymond Chandler novel, but salacious content does not make an interesting movie.


1946 is a great noir movie. 1978 is like watching a double episode of Falcon Crest; rather than noir, it is taupe.


In 1946, we had a 47 year old Humphrey Bogart playing alongside his new bride, the 22 year old Lauren Bacall. Bogart and Bacall are captivating. The rest of the cast is on their game and into the story. It is a blast from top to bottom. You really come to feel conflicted about Bacall’s character and her intentions. The two bit players that are the main bad guy’s henchmen are a hoot. This thing is funny and intense and the dialog is great.


In 1978, we have a 61 year old Robert Mitchum playing against and along with a 37 year old Sarah Miles - and everybody looks like they just finished a large turkey dinner and missed their nap time. Even Oliver Reed & Joan Collins are sleepwalking through it. The only character that is alive is Candy Clark’s ‘Camilla Sternwood’ - and she is a lunatic - so tonally out of step with everyone else it is ridiculous. She looks like she is doing a coked up version of her Oscar nominated part from “American Graffiti”.


In 1946, Howard Hawks directed the screenplay by William Faulkner (yes, that Faulkner), the amazing Leigh Bracket, and Jules Furthman. In 1978, we had writer / director / producer Michael Winner. I think he needed to give up the director job. He hits all the story beats - the sets and locations are great - but his performers are dead on their feet. Really good actors performing in such a way that was less interesting than watching those YouTube videos on rust removal = poor direction. Like Star Wars episode 1,2,3.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Man on Fire" (2004) - why do I like a roman à clef

I have watched “Man on Fire” (2004) many times. If it is on or I see it available, I will watch it. I think I got some free movies on Vudu o...