I finally got around to watching "M" (1931) - the Fritz Lang classic. It is like watching a double episode of Law & Order. I was a bit surprised at how dark the villain is portrayed. I guess being a German film it did not need to comply with Hays Code nonsense (although I am not 100% sure if this would have failed the code sensors, it is definitely a pretty heavy subject). Speaking of the villain, Peter Lorre is fantastic in this.
I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.
Comments
Post a Comment