Skip to main content

The Sunset Limited (2011)

 Nihilism is always a popular theme or character trait in literature and movies. In "The Sunset Limited" (2011) nihilism is approximately 50% of the story. In that movie / play, 'White' is arguing that all life is meaningless and that he has no connection to anything worth living for. 'Black' is arguing that God is the reason for life and we are called to reach one another from that love. 

The piece that struck me was the last exchange as White is leaving the apartment. White apologizes to Black. But what is he saying sorry for? It seems to me that he is sorry for how badly Black feels about being unable to save White. He feels empathy for Black hurting because Black has accepted his human frailty - and the consequence that White is doomed.

As an otherwise perfect nihilist by White - it is this turn that is out of character. If nothing matters and all life is meaningless ... why be empathetic? Why extend a word of kindness & concern? Why try to make this obviously hurting man feel better - to acknowledge that he did his best - even if they both know it didn't work? 

I think the answer is that nihilism is a cynical sham. It's a burlap cloth full of sticker burrs you wrap around yourself as a pain you control - because that pain takes your mind away from the pain you can't control. Nihilism is a desperate cry from a place that needs help. 

For Cormac McCarthy (author of this work and many others that explore the futility of man's designs), I think the reason White is written this way is that otherwise he is an unredeemable psychopath. You need the dielectric in his last 3 lines to polarize the audience and create conflict in them. You need to be left or afterwards to litigate what you would have said or thought or felt if you were Black & White. 

As a movie - it is called a novel in dramatic form. I think it is more of a philosophy piece (in form which is much easier to suggest than a masters level thesis). Unlike "No Country for Old Men", I don't think I need to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Roman Holiday - a perfect closing scene

Roman Holiday: Never have the stakes been so low. And seldom has the romp been so much fun. This movie is effervescent. The sensibility of it fantastic. There is even a character arc for all the mains if that is what you want - Peck falls in love. Hepburn grows up and realizes she is a woman on a mission in control of her agenda. Albert even has his heart show up at the end - really all of them go through something in a very naturalistic way that I feel is unusual for film (certainly for 1950's US films). I do think that Eddie Albert deserves special mention - he is severely handsome and hilarious.  It may be mostly the beard, but he reminded me of Rob Cook. His character keeps getting dumped on his backside and getting his pants wet. He tries to 'help' and ends up in some slapstick shenanigans more than not. I don't know about the time around the release, but his performance is undermentioned in comparison to the other two these days. The closing scene where she knows ...

The Thing in the Basement

What do you do if you have 6th, 7th, and 12th place finishers in the 'Michael Stivic look-a-like contest - and a product placement deal with Budweiser?  You get Rick Baker's neighbor (other side of the street, a few doors down) to make you a creature costume. Then you go get the writer who did a day's work punching up one poker scene for an episode of MASH but got fired for refusing footwear on the set. In 1973, you could get a Thompson machine gun and grenades practically everywhere - so that is no problem. Then you grab you 8mm camera and put it to work on your singular masterpiece.  Really - this is fun. I could not put a name to who Fernman reminded me of, but I did think the art director did a fantastic job capturing his je ne sais quoi with the skull. Soundtrack is great. Last thing (if you were wondering): YES, this is in the same cinematic universe as "Drop Dead Fred" - this is the Fred who was hanging out with Phoebe Cates.