Skip to main content

Black Legion (1937) - a dark tale about today

I was asked by a friend to check out “Black Legion” (1937) because he seemed to appreciate my movie reviews. That led me through a rabbit warren of two movies, two radio shows, one 50 page “pamphlet” written by a 1936 American communist published by The University of Texas in Austin, and lots of other people’s internet research. All of the ‘entertainment’ media was produced in that ‘36~’38 window. I appreciate being asked, but you have to be careful about fan-service folks - it can get you a second job while you aren’t looking.


1937 shows young Bogart - well before he met Baccal and before it was obvious he was going to die soon. Most consider “High Sierra” to be his star-making role, but you can see it coming here. This year also gives us a spot in the fat of the Hays Code. PCA compliant “Code” movies tend to feel either like a children’s Sunday School lesson or very simple drama / action stories. This is neither and yet both. I came in to watch unprepped thinking I was getting a noir film - I came through it with a lesson that history repeats itself, and humans are dangerous when they become mob-making scaredy cats.


I would call it “editorial” cinema. Both this and “Legion of Terror” (1936), the 1937 radio episodes of “True Detective” and ‘38 “The Shadow” were like that. They represent a point of view that says “fascists” are bad for humanity (*snort). Fascists begin because we are afraid of change and our lack of control in life. Our plans are set and the world we live in is not - and that scares us. Frightened people do desperate and scary things. They huddle together with other people who are afraid. They are nurtured and their desperate efforts flourish because morally bankrupt people in positions of power use fascism for profit as well as to remain in power. Fear sells. People even pay to be inside the fear machine - it is better to be part of a scary thing than out there getting through the fear you can’t control.


In this specific story, fascism came in the form of a real life organization called “The Black Legion” which was a splinter of the Ku Klux Klan. It was organized into jingoistic military-like structures, it had a hierarchical bureaucracy that you paid dues into, swore your allegiance to, and took your orders from. Those orders were to intimidate, assault, and destroy whoever “they” were that “are ruining your lives”. For the Black Legion, THEY were Jews, Catholics, people of color (what constituted non-white was pretty broad), people with ‘liberal’ or ‘progressive’ ideas, and just about anyone who for whatever reason bothered  someone in the Black Legion. The Black Legion had squads that carried out the evil jobs and squads that followed up on the evil doers to make sure they did their jobs. Their downfall came because after one of the many murders they committed someone got caught and confessed.  That is the ripped from real life plot of all of these shows.


This is not much of a movie review. As a film it was exciting and entertaining. “Black Legion” was about 83 minutes, “Legion of Terror” was just over 60, and the radio shows were under 30 minutes each. Each of them is easy to get into and they keep you with their narrative & characters. The radio program commercials were interesting - especially the part where Agnes Moorehead (“Bewitched”) tells you to call into the Blue Coal Corporation tomorrow and tell them you heard about Blue Coal from “The Shadow”. They sold the finest anthracite available.


Unfortunately, I could not stop thinking that if you shot this again in the 2020s, it could be a week in the life of whoever ‘One America News Network’ or ‘Breitbart’ says are the real patriots. If you want links to the media or the pamphlet I uncovered, let me know. If you are a reader rather than a watcher or listener - just do the pamphlet. It starts drama and morphs into a news-like research piece then goes op-ed. It is really well written.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Sinners (2025) - who are your people?

A Southern Gothic tale - with all the symbolism you care to find from that genre. What does it mean to belong? How does a community treat its undesirables? What role does religion play in defining good and clean? What do you have to give up to be part of the clan? This movie probes some very deep stuff.  If you just want the top-level show without all the questions this flick evokes - you get gangsters, vampires, and blues music. It is all the magic I found in a Pizza Hut Supreme when I was a kid. Wonderfully grotesque metaphors. Moving scores. Impact through sound design, camera focus, tracking, color palette and lighting. This movie is brilliantly made.  I am trying to put my finger on a performance that is stand out, but I can't really. It is quite an ensemble. I think if there is one series I loved it is when Stack goes to get supplies for the party: that negotiation with the girl by the truck, the greeting at the 'black' grocery, the shooting, the '1-shot' wher...

Roman Holiday - a perfect closing scene

Roman Holiday: Never have the stakes been so low. And seldom has the romp been so much fun. This movie is effervescent. The sensibility of it fantastic. There is even a character arc for all the mains if that is what you want - Peck falls in love. Hepburn grows up and realizes she is a woman on a mission in control of her agenda. Albert even has his heart show up at the end - really all of them go through something in a very naturalistic way that I feel is unusual for film (certainly for 1950's US films). I do think that Eddie Albert deserves special mention - he is severely handsome and hilarious.  It may be mostly the beard, but he reminded me of Rob Cook. His character keeps getting dumped on his backside and getting his pants wet. He tries to 'help' and ends up in some slapstick shenanigans more than not. I don't know about the time around the release, but his performance is undermentioned in comparison to the other two these days. The closing scene where she knows ...