Skip to main content

Breathless (1960) & Breakin2: Electric Boogaloo (1984)

 I took a journey - 

"Breathless" (1960) is one of the iconic French New Wave movies.

"Breakin2: Electric Boogaloo" (1984) is an iconic American Dance Musical.

Watching them back-to-back may require a medical intervention. I do wonder which has done more for popular culture:

* "Breathless" brought mainstream attention to French movie making. And I do love a good nihilistic character study.

* Without [B2: EB] - we would not have the 'snowclone' template for all sequels. For instance, in this current presidential year, we have Trump2: Electric Boogaloo ... I mean, you can't put a price on that.

If you are looking for more conventional pairings - 

-- "Breathless" and "Vivre sa vie": both are Goddard films, beautiful to experience, and pose the audience with philosophical questions and tragic endings.

 -- "Breakin2: Electric Boogaloo" and "Ninja 3: The Domination"*: both are Cannon Group films, the female lead plays a part time dance instructor, and have some hip dance moves (that I rewound and tried myself while I was watching).

 *trigger warning for Ninja3: there is a ¿love scene? that involves drinking V8 juice. It is NOT titillating, and it may make you gag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Sinners (2025) - who are your people?

A Southern Gothic tale - with all the symbolism you care to find from that genre. What does it mean to belong? How does a community treat its undesirables? What role does religion play in defining good and clean? What do you have to give up to be part of the clan? This movie probes some very deep stuff.  If you just want the top-level show without all the questions this flick evokes - you get gangsters, vampires, and blues music. It is all the magic I found in a Pizza Hut Supreme when I was a kid. Wonderfully grotesque metaphors. Moving scores. Impact through sound design, camera focus, tracking, color palette and lighting. This movie is brilliantly made.  I am trying to put my finger on a performance that is stand out, but I can't really. It is quite an ensemble. I think if there is one series I loved it is when Stack goes to get supplies for the party: that negotiation with the girl by the truck, the greeting at the 'black' grocery, the shooting, the '1-shot' wher...

Roman Holiday - a perfect closing scene

Roman Holiday: Never have the stakes been so low. And seldom has the romp been so much fun. This movie is effervescent. The sensibility of it fantastic. There is even a character arc for all the mains if that is what you want - Peck falls in love. Hepburn grows up and realizes she is a woman on a mission in control of her agenda. Albert even has his heart show up at the end - really all of them go through something in a very naturalistic way that I feel is unusual for film (certainly for 1950's US films). I do think that Eddie Albert deserves special mention - he is severely handsome and hilarious.  It may be mostly the beard, but he reminded me of Rob Cook. His character keeps getting dumped on his backside and getting his pants wet. He tries to 'help' and ends up in some slapstick shenanigans more than not. I don't know about the time around the release, but his performance is undermentioned in comparison to the other two these days. The closing scene where she knows ...