Skip to main content

"Cocaine Shark" (2023) - Not since "Suburban Sasquatch" ...

Mark Polonia has made almost 80 films since 1985. That is 2+ per year. There was a 3 year pause in his proliferation after his twin brother & production partner John died in 2008. If you consider that he (they) didn’t really start cranking out this entertainment until 2000 - it is more like 3 per year. If he keeps at it as long as they did, he will pass Richard Thorpe and William Beaudine (credited as directing ~180 each). Wowzers.

His particular craft is low-low budget. Lower than Roger Corman or Lloyd Kaufman even. Polonia’s production values are limited. You get 2 or 3 sets with plenty of establishing shots to fill the transition. You get special effects and creatures which look like they were assembled by a junior high art class. You will see the same actor playing multiple parts, married couples acting together, and a lot of the same names showing up in multiple different releases. You will see the same people + sets in 2 or 4 of these movies in a room; I assume many of them are shot contemporaneously.


What you also get is an earnest piece of entertainment. Polonia (or Corman / Kaufman for that matter) is not trying to impress you with a visual spectacle or award worthy performances. They are making a living and providing work for people telling a story that entertains. And they do that over and over again.


“Cocaine Shark” is marketed as a sci-fi horror film but is more like a double episode of “Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer”. At 70 minutes, it is mostly a tale about an undercover cop infiltrating and trying to disrupt a new drug ring taking over the US from Atlantic City, NJ. A ton of self-referential voice over narration by the ¿main? Character. I think most of the movie is being told as a flashback; it doesn’t really matter. I fast-forwarded through the dramatic scene between ‘Mike Hammer’ and the femme fatale, but the dialog was just what you might think it was if you were to write a scene after reading the Wikipedia article on the character.


There is of course a cocaine shark. Actually, there are three different hybrid, blood crazed creatures who were formed because of their exposure to the designer drug in the movie. None of them look much like the cover art. None of them are really consequential to the story.


One of the things I like to do when I watch these films is to make up famous(ish) actor names for the actors that are there. The first guy you meet is a hybrid of Jon Lovitz+Michael Peña. The ¿main? character is a garage-sale Oscar Issacs. You can play along at home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Aniara (2018) - Space is full of our fears

"Aniara" (2018) is ostensibly a scifi film about a passenger ship en route to Mars that goes off course. Think "Avenue 5" (2020) but with less Hugh Laurie wit, Josh Gad mania and no comedic electricity from Jessica St Clair or Zach Woods. "Aniara" is based on an epic poem - and it explores how humanity, set adrift in the cosmos, struggles to find a path to purpose.  The narrative is centered on a woman who operates an AI Virtual Reality machine which provides an immersion therapy for people who are trapped on the ship - it fills them with a sense of paradise that they ultimately have to be unplugged from to face the existential dread reality of the sarcophagus they are on. The woman, Mimarobe, is earnest trying to make the best of what she is given. She is flawed - she is treated unfairly - she finds love - she faces grievous loss. All the while, she perseveres. I see her as a Job like character. Not exactly: she never gets angry at God and she doesn't...

Sinners (2025) - who are your people?

A Southern Gothic tale - with all the symbolism you care to find from that genre. What does it mean to belong? How does a community treat its undesirables? What role does religion play in defining good and clean? What do you have to give up to be part of the clan? This movie probes some very deep stuff.  If you just want the top-level show without all the questions this flick evokes - you get gangsters, vampires, and blues music. It is all the magic I found in a Pizza Hut Supreme when I was a kid. Wonderfully grotesque metaphors. Moving scores. Impact through sound design, camera focus, tracking, color palette and lighting. This movie is brilliantly made.  I am trying to put my finger on a performance that is stand out, but I can't really. It is quite an ensemble. I think if there is one series I loved it is when Stack goes to get supplies for the party: that negotiation with the girl by the truck, the greeting at the 'black' grocery, the shooting, the '1-shot' wher...