Skip to main content

Rubber (2010) - French Absurdity

I saw a film, and as I watched, I said to myself: “Raul, you know what - I didn’t think anyone but the French made absurd films”. And then Raul said “mmmhmmm. Stop talking. This is funny.” Raul was right - so I just settled back in for the 86 minute ride. Afterwards, I opened up Wikipedia and realized I was right - that WAS a French film - it was just stocked with American actors.


“Rubber” (2010) is an absurd comedy-¿horror? It comes with three scoops of meta: it tells you in the beginning, middle, and end that it is being absurd on purpose. I mean - literally - the characters tell the audience or each other that this makes no sense. They are not lying. You were warned. For anyone who has trouble noting when the first, second, third act start precisely in a film - I recommend you watch “Rubber” and every time they tell you this makes no sense or there is no reason to what is happening, THAT was the start of the next chapter.


The lack of sense or reason did not make it unwatchable, or unfunny - personally, I found it charming. The storyteller told you what they were doing - and invited you to come along. I laughed out loud in several places (which is hard for me sometimes - I don’t yield to Raul enough). In particular, I could not stop giggling at the meta-humor of Wings Hauser wearing a baseball cap that said ‘Classically Trained’ on it. HAH!! It is only horror in that there is some ludicrous gore. Not a lot, but they do make a few messes and blow some people up.


I would watch it again with other people who are into silly films. About like I would watch anything from Asylum Films (I am looking at you “Shark Side of the Moon”). The actors were all people you will recognize from other things. Hauser was the only one I could name - I am not that geeky.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight Run (1988)

 I need to add one more to my [perfect movie] list: "Midnight Run" (1988). I don't think I had seen it before until now. It holds up well, it is very quotable, shot and edited really well. You can understand how this guy made "Beverly Hills Cop" four years earlier. I do think the secret of this (and BHC) is character. These characters are really well written and played. Charles Grodin is giving a master class in playing down beat against DeNiro's comedic version of "Taxi Driver". Yaphet Kotto looks like he is going to have an aneurysm - and Dennis Farina is truly a scary Chicago mobster. Added bonus - Danny Elfman soundtrack.

Sinners (2025) - who are your people?

A Southern Gothic tale - with all the symbolism you care to find from that genre. What does it mean to belong? How does a community treat its undesirables? What role does religion play in defining good and clean? What do you have to give up to be part of the clan? This movie probes some very deep stuff.  If you just want the top-level show without all the questions this flick evokes - you get gangsters, vampires, and blues music. It is all the magic I found in a Pizza Hut Supreme when I was a kid. Wonderfully grotesque metaphors. Moving scores. Impact through sound design, camera focus, tracking, color palette and lighting. This movie is brilliantly made.  I am trying to put my finger on a performance that is stand out, but I can't really. It is quite an ensemble. I think if there is one series I loved it is when Stack goes to get supplies for the party: that negotiation with the girl by the truck, the greeting at the 'black' grocery, the shooting, the '1-shot' wher...

Roman Holiday - a perfect closing scene

Roman Holiday: Never have the stakes been so low. And seldom has the romp been so much fun. This movie is effervescent. The sensibility of it fantastic. There is even a character arc for all the mains if that is what you want - Peck falls in love. Hepburn grows up and realizes she is a woman on a mission in control of her agenda. Albert even has his heart show up at the end - really all of them go through something in a very naturalistic way that I feel is unusual for film (certainly for 1950's US films). I do think that Eddie Albert deserves special mention - he is severely handsome and hilarious.  It may be mostly the beard, but he reminded me of Rob Cook. His character keeps getting dumped on his backside and getting his pants wet. He tries to 'help' and ends up in some slapstick shenanigans more than not. I don't know about the time around the release, but his performance is undermentioned in comparison to the other two these days. The closing scene where she knows ...